When we create a field in Dynamics CRM, We add Display Name and Name. This article talks about these different names and their use.
1. Display Name –
- This is used to show as a label on the form.
- It can be changed from field definition page anytime.
- It can be also changed from the Form customization.
- Beyond showing as a label, it has no further implication in the backend.
2. Schema Name –
- It is used to create Database table columns.
- These are mentioned while doing REST or oData Queries.
- Used in Early Binding.
- Auto created for the first time but can be changed there only.
- They can’t be changed once they are saved
3. Name –
- They are also known as Logical Name or Attribute Name.
- It comes with all lower case and auto-generated in the backend.
- Mostly used with CRM SDK Development.
- This is the unique name of the class or property created in the Web Services Description Language (WSDL).
As you noticed here, Name field mentioned in Pascal Casing (ClientSource) or Camel Casing (bats_ClientSource) automatically converted to all lower case.
Finally, this how it looks like.
P.S. – This article is for beginners but the very basic concept we normally ignore and fail to answer when experienced 😛
Happy Dynamics’ing !!!